New Blog & Summer School

A new blog - the old one was wedding related so I decided to start from scratch with a new one that is more general.  You know me, I’m always into some kind of DIY, craft, or art project. My recent knee replacement has allowed me a lot of free time and I’ve taken up making greeting cards.  One of the things I like the best about this hobby is that it allows you to use so many different techniques.  There’s always something new to learn.  It also gives you fun things to send to friends and family.  




One downside is all the supplies & tools you “need”, lol. I have huge shopping lists for things like ink pads of many types and colors, stamps, cutting dies, stencils, embossing folders, watercolor pens & pencils, Copic pens, embossing powders, cardstock, different types of paper, coloring powders & sprays, glues, adhesives, many kinds of embellishments, stamping tools, blending tools, cutting tools, etc.  

I do get to use my Cricket Maker and Cuttlebug! That’s a big plus. 

My most recent project is making cards for the MFT (My Favorite Things) Summer School.  I’ve begun making cards to participate in “challenges” from MFT, Simon Says, Altenew, and others. They all award prizes (gift cards to their stores), most awarded by random drawing, so even though I’m new I still have a chance.  It’s been a great way to figure out different ways to use the supplies I have & try new techniques.  

Here are the cards I made for Summer School:

MFT Summer School Day 1, Visual Triangle

For my first assignment, VisualTriangle, I used myPoppy Moments dies to cut flowers in 3 shades of blue, and added shading using  Catherine Pooler inks in Mardi Gras, Aquatini, & Hot Tub. 


MFT Summer School Day 2, Rainbow

How to make a rainbow without making an actual rainbow? Flowers - & I had the perfect stamp! After stamping with “Ranunculous Field” on watercolor paper, I used watercolor pens to add rainbow colors to the flowers.


MFT Summer School Day 3, Symmetry


For the “Symmetry “ assignment I stamped the chrysanthemum flower & leaves on alcohol ink paper and, after coloring them with alcohol ink pens, cut them out with the coordinating dies. For the background I used a script stamp with dark gray ink, inked the edges with the same, and colored in the rest using a blending brush with mint ink.



For my ombré card I decided to try a new technique : trapped emboss resist.  This tutorial from Jennifer McGuire was awesome.  I used Catherine Pooler inks in Samba, Polished, and Bellini blended for the background. The embossing powder was Nuvo clear fine detail, and the top layer of ink was Tsukineko Brilliance in Moonlight White (a pretty shimmery white).  I added 2 die cut flowers, dots of Liquid Pearls, and baker’s twine in a peach stripe.


MFT Summer School Day 5, White Space


For the last assignment, White Space, I decided to use one of my medium size flower stamps. I stamped it on watercolor paper using MFT Extreme Black ink and then used watercolor pens to color it. I added some flecks of blue and fine white glitter.

So there we go!  Summer School assignments complete. I’m pretty happy with how most turned out and ended up with some cards I’ll actually use.

Thanks for stopping by!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Candy Cane Deluxe

Hydrangea Highlight

Red & White