Steampunk Owl

Steampunk can be so much fun, so I was excited when Simon Says made it this Monday’s challenge theme!  I’ve used a streampunk heart before, for my dad’s birthday card, so I figured I’d try something different this time. 

I didn’t have any appropriate stamps or dies, so I went online to Etsy and found a couple of graphics that I liked. Cricut Design Space has an application called “Print then Cut” that is mainly meant for ink jet printing in color on vinyl, but I’ve been experimenting with using it with a laser printer to create the inside verses for greeting cards and decided to give it a shot for the front graphics too.

Upon finding a free steampunk frame online I imported it, along with the graphics I purchased, into Design Space.  It turned out to be very difficult to get the image to print nice & sharp. I think I can do it eventually but after spending 2 evenings I put it aside for now and ended up using the Adobe Photoshop Mix app and printing it from my photo folder. I ended up printing it like 8 times but finally got the size I wanted to use!

After cutting out my image, I heat embossed parts of the frame & goggles in silver, the watch chains in gold, and the top hat in black.  I colored the rest of the owl in using alcohol markers. After masking the owl and frame, I spritzed on Distress Oxide Spray in Antique Linen & some homemade gold mica spray to create the background.

I matted it with an autumn colored striped paper, attached it to a Kraft card base, & added a “Hello” sentiment strip. 


Thanks for stopping by!

Sandy



Comments

  1. Wow! You put a lot of effort into this card. My hat off to you! Steampunk is new to me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hydrangea Highlight

Candy Cane Deluxe

Red & White