Framed Vellum

For the MFT Wednesday Sketch Challenge - Sketch 540 I decided to use this card I saw for inspiration. I like how the embossed vellum looks over the ink blending and the color choices.


Here’s the sketch:


I decided to split the blended section into 4 parts, pop them up using white cardstock, and put the vellum over the top. First I took a half sheet of cardstock and over part of it blended Distress Oxide inks in Aged Mahogany, Barn Door, and Crackling campfire.  

Next I cut it into 4 pieces each 3.5”x1.125” with a quarter inch in-between. I stacked them each on 3 pieces of white and attatched them to a burgundy mat. 

After cutting a piece of vellum 3.5”x5.25”, I ran it through my Cuttlebug in a Cricut Anna Griffin Aviary embossing folder. I decided to try a technique I saw recently for adhering vellum using a sheet of double-sided adhesive. Since it covers the entire surface you don’t seethe adhesive like you normally would if you just used pieces. 

Well, I got the adhesive on the vellum just fine, trimmed it slightly where it hung over the edge a little bit, then put it on the blended ink strips. Wouldn’t you know, it ended up crooked. Not a lot, but enough that I needed a fix. 

I figured a frame on top would work to cover the bit where it was crooked. I trimmed the excess vellum off the side and then cut a 1/4” frame to fit around the vellum so it was 1/8” larger. That way it covered the bad parts. 

After embossing the frame in gold, I remembered a gorgeous Lindy’s Stamp Gang e.p. that I have, Golden Pumpkin. I added 3 layers over the gold and attached it to the card front.

I used a The Ton die set to cut out happy birthday in gold with a burgundy frame, attached them, popped the front on a white card base, and added some gold flat-back pearls. Ta da!



In spite of my goof, it turned out pretty great! I’m going to enter it in the Simon Says Monday Challenge - Feminine and the Simon Says Wednesday Challenge - Feminine as well.


Thanks for stopping by!

Sandy






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Candy Cane Deluxe

Hydrangea Highlight

Red & White