Memorial Day 2022

I love poppies! So when it comes to Memorial Day I tend to turn to them. This year I used Paper Rose’s Modern Poppy stamp. 

Since I was making multiple cards, and I didn’t want to use up my Copic markers, I purchased the Nuvo  Creative Pens Rich Reds set on sale. It’s a good thing since I used them all up.

Now, I did a number of things wrong here. First I stamped the design using Ranger Archival Ink in black. I used clear embossing powder over that, so here are 2 no-no’s. Archival ink is a pigment ink so it’s not safe for alcohol ink markers, it will smear, and you’re not supposed to use markers with heat embossing as it can ruin your markers. I hoped the clear embossing would help prevent the smearing, and it did for the most part. Also, I wasn’t planning on keeping the red markers so I didn’t care so much about the embossing.  I did use my Copics for the greens and yellow and they seem to be ok. 

The paper I used was Hammerhill Premium Color Copy 80lb. Cover.  I got it to use with my laser printer and found it works pretty well with markers too. It’s not as good as X-Press IT but it’s a lot cheaper. (Note: if you use it for printing it’s a good idea to use a sealer over it so it doesn’t smear. I use a Krylon matte sealer.) 

After coloring the poppies, I used a fine black pen to add a couple of curved lines to ground the flowers.  I used my Fiskars paper cutter to slice down from the top and up from the bottom until I reached the design, then fussy cut the middle part and trimmed the rest to fit on a 5x7 card. 

I glued it onto a Kraft 5x7 card blank, added a strip of red mirror cardstock, and the sentiment.

Didn’t they turn out pretty? I think so, and they’re still very different from last year’s cards even though they both had poppies! 


Thanks for stopping by! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Candy Cane Deluxe

Hydrangea Highlight

Red & White